There's more than one way to reach the right job
Changes in technology are having a serious impact on the jobs that we do now, and what we'll do in the future. Careers are evolving too – as freelance, virtual and contract work grows increasingly common. Now, it’s about being flexible and adapting to fit this new environment. As parents, it’s important to be aware of all the options, and to encourage your children to explore what's out there.
Routes to a career
We’ve mapped out how they can get ahead.
- Taste of their chosen profession
- Ability to develop skills on the job
- Can be a stepping stone
It’s the ideal way for them to experience the working environment, make connections and build the all-important skills they’ll need.
- Qualification at the end of each course
- Ability to earn more
- Part-time, full-time and evening courses
Access training and learning that’ll help them emerge as an expert in their chosen field.
- Offers high-quality, work-based learning
- Brings education closer to industry
- Develop skills through experience
Receive a blend of on-the-job training and skills-based learning or study for a degree, whilst gaining practical experience.
- Hands-on experience
- Get paid straight away
- On the career ladder straight away
Make an impact right away, by going straight into employment, where they'll build skills and establish themselves in their chosen career.
- Learn and develop work-based skills
- Experience for their CV
- Make contacts and grow their network
Whether studying, leaving college/university or still at school, volunteering offers the chance to develop essential skills whilst helping a cause.